An official website of the Alabama State government.

The .gov means it's official

Government websites often end in .gov or .mil. Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you’re on an official government site.

The site is secure

The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.

FAQ Categories: Withholding Tax

I overpaid my withholding tax, how should I handle this?

Overpayments may be taken as a credit on Line 5 of your next withholding tax return. The return on which a credit is claimed must be accompanied by a brief explanation of where the overpayment occurred in order for the Department to verify the overpayment. If filing electronically, please complete

Read More »

Is withholding required from 1099 Distributions?

No, however, those electing to voluntarily withhold tax must register for a withholding tax account number with the Department and remit the tax withheld. Forms 1099 reflecting Alabama income tax withheld along with Forms W2 must be submitted with the Form A3 Annual Reconciliation on or before January 31 of

Read More »