An official website of the Alabama State government.

The .gov means it's official

Government websites often end in .gov or .mil. Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you’re on an official government site.

The site is secure

The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.

  • Homepage
  • >
  • Do I need to register with the secretary of state (SOS) before applying for an account?

Do I need to register with the secretary of state (SOS) before applying for an account?

If the entity is a Corporation, Partnership, Single Member LLC, etc., you need to register with the SOS to receive the state assigned Charter Number which is needed to complete the application. If the entity is a sole proprietorship, you are not required to register with the SOS, but you will need to confirm availability of a trade name, should you plan to operate under a different name other than the owner’s legal name.

Related FAQs in Entity Registration

No. The request number lets you know that the application has been submitted via the web. This number can be used to call and check the status of the application. The Account Number is the ten-digit series of numbers and letters assigned by the Alabama Department of Revenue (ADOR). You can find your Account Number on any correspondence that you have received from the ADOR.

Rental tax is a privilege tax levied on the lessor for the leasing or renting of tangible personal property. Lodgings tax is a privilege tax on persons, firms, and corporations engaged in renting or furnishing rooms, lodgings, or other accommodations to transients for periods of less than 180 days of continuous occupation and applies to all charges for providing such accommodations. This tax also applies to charges for personal property used or furnished in such rooms or lodgings. Learn more about Sales & Use Tax accounts.