An official website of the Alabama State government.

The .gov means it's official

Government websites often end in .gov or .mil. Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you’re on an official government site.

The site is secure

The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.

ALDOR Sales and Other Tax License Renewals Go Annual, Online

Posted: October 28, 2020

MONTGOMERY, Oct. 28, 2020 – The Alabama Department of Revenue (ALDOR) is offering taxpayers a quick and easy way to renew sales tax and other licenses which, starting this year, must be renewed annually.

Beginning Nov. 1 (as implemented by rule made effective in February), all Sales and Use Tax licenses issued by ALDOR must be renewed annually (by Dec. 31) and online through the My Alabama Taxes (MAT) portal. There is no charge to renew these licenses, which are required for:

  • Sales Tax
  • Rental Tax
  • Sellers Use Tax
  • Lodgings Tax
  • Utility Gross Receipts Tax
  • Simplified Sellers Use Tax

The online renewal process in MAT will allow retailers to print their licenses on-demand and quickly verify their licensing status with their vendors. One renewal process will update all the required licenses for a given entity.

ALDOR is working closely with Alabama taxpayers to ensure that the license is renewed within the required time frame. Notices have been sent through MAT or mail to affected taxpayers, and reminders will be sent at the beginning of December. ALDOR will reach out to all taxpayers that have not renewed as the year-end approaches.

Taxpayers will need to log into the MAT portal to update and/or verify the required information to generate a new license for the upcoming calendar year. Once logged into MAT, taxpayers will be required to review and update pertinent information. The renewal process also will require verification that the business is continuing to operate in the same business entity type for which the existing license was issued. Taxpayers will need to apply for a new license if the entity type has changed. The renewal process will be completed annually to generate a new license for each calendar year.

For more information, visit the step-by-step instructions and FAQ pages. Any taxpayers who need help renewing licenses can contact ALDOR’s Sales & Use Tax Division at 334-242-1490 or the nearest Taxpayer Service Center.

Click here to download a PDF version of this release.