An official website of the Alabama State government.

The .gov means it's official

Government websites often end in .gov or .mil. Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you’re on an official government site.

The site is secure

The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.

Changes to Reporting Involuntary Transfers due to Court Order

Related Division
Posted: January 6, 2017

Legislative Act 2016-358 amended Section 32-8-46, Code of Alabama 1975, changing the requirement for reporting involuntary transfers due to court order.
Effective Jan. 1, 2017, a person or entity initiating an involuntary transfer by operation of law is required to give notice of the action to the Department at least thirty-five (35) calendar days prior to the date of the transfer. The person or entity shall utilize the Department’s Involuntary Transfer portal (https://tobol.mvtrip.alabama.gov/) to report the transfer of ownership. The notice provisions shall not apply to a motor vehicle transferred pursuant to a divorce decree, or to a motor vehicle transferred pursuant to documents creating a lien or other security interest in the motor vehicle. An application for certificate of title may not be issued for a motor vehicle subject to these provisions until the notice requirements are satisfied. The link to the Involuntary Transfer portal is available on the Motor Vehicle Division Web page and on the Motor Vehicle Title, Registration and Insurance Portal (MVTRIP).
The Department’s Electronic Title Application Processing System will not allow the creation of an application for certificate of title for an involuntary transfer as the result of a court order until the transfer has been reported to the Department, using the Involuntary Transfer Portal, and the thirty-five (35) day notification period has expired. The Department will reject applications for certificate of title for failure to comply with the notification requirements.
For more information, please contact the Alabama Department of Revenue, Motor Vehicle Division, at 334-242-9000, or titles@revenue.alabama.gov

View News