Dealer and motorcycle dealer plates may be obtained by licensed motor vehicle dealers. Manufacturer plates may be obtained by manufacturers of private passenger automobiles, motorcycles, trucks, truck tractors, or trailers, if the manufacturing facility is located in Alabama. (Section 40-12-264, Code of Alabama 1975)
Dealer and motorcycle dealer plate restrictions:
• New motor vehicle dealers may obtain a combined total of 35 dealer and motorcycle dealer license plates
• Used motor vehicle dealers may obtain a combined total of 5 dealer and motorcycle dealer license plates
• Licensed new or used dealers may purchase an additional combined total of 25 dealer and motorcycle dealer license plates if they complete applications for certificates of title for 300 or more title transfers in this state during the previous dealer regulatory license year.
There are no limitations on the number of manufacturer and motorcycle manufacturer plates that can be purchased by manufacturers. (Section 40-12-264, Code of Alabama 1975)
• May be used on vehicles on temporary loan from a dealer to a customer whose vehicle is being serviced or repaired by the dealer.
• May be used on vehicles on temporary loan to a high school for the purpose of student driver education.
• May only be displayed on vehicles in the dealer’s/manufacturer’s inventory.
• May be used for one payload trip only on trucks or truck tractors in a dealer’s inventory with more than 2 axles on the power unit or a GVW exceeding 26,000 pounds. Limited to 72 hours of usage.
If the dealer charges customers a fee for the uses above, dealer plates cannot be displayed on the vehicle. Motor vehicle dealers may display standard plates on vehicles in a dealer’s inventory. Ad valorem tax is not due when this occurs. (Section 40-12-264, Code of Alabama 1975)
After the dealer license has been obtained, the dealer must visit the county licensing office to purchase the appropriate privilege license(s) (Sections 40-12-51, 40-12-62, or 40-12-169). Dealer plates will be issued by the Department of Revenue, contingent upon proof of the appropriate privilege licenses. Dealer plates may be requested in the Motor Vehicle License portal Manufacturers must present their Section 87 license in order to purchase manufacturer license plates.