The Alabama Department of Revenue is working with Free File Alliance member companies to offer free electronic filing services to qualified Alabama taxpayers. Please note:
- Qualifying taxpayers can prepare and e-file, for free, both federal and state Alabama individual income tax returns electronically using approved software.
- Use of other sites that promote a free federal return will not guarantee your ability to also file your Alabama return for free.
- Information on the providers’ websites will help determine the best product for your tax needs. To start a return, click a link to a provider’s website from this page. Using another link may result in fees being assessed.
Free File Alliance Providers
Free File products are affiliated with the Free File Alliance (FFA), which partners with the IRS and state revenue agencies to offer free electronic services to qualifying taxpayers.
1040.com® offers free federal and Alabama individual income tax electronic services for taxpayers who meet the following requirements:
- Any federal adjusted gross income between $17,000 and $79,000, regardless of age OR
- Active duty military with adjusted gross income of $79,000 or less
FileYourTaxes.com offers free federal and Alabama individual income tax electronic services for taxpayers who meet the following requirements:
- Federal adjusted gross income is $79,000 and served active military OR
- Federal adjusted gross income is at least $8,500 and not more than $79,000 and are 64 years old or under
Online Taxes at OLT.com® offers free federal and Alabama income tax electronic services for taxpayers who meet the following requirements:
- Federal adjusted gross income is $45,000 or less, regardless of age, OR
- Served active duty military in 2023 with a federal adjsuted gross income of $79,000 or less
- The above descriptions were prepared by each software industry partner.
- ALDOR does not endorse online software providers.
- Review the software industry partner’s terms and conditions to be aware of the information collected by this private company.
- ALDOR cannot provide technical support for commercial software products. Any questions you have while using the software needs to be directed to the software industry partner’s customer service department.
More Options for Electronic and Paper Filing
- File online using approved tax software.
- File Alabama return online using ALDOR’s free portal, My Alabama Taxes.
- Many of ALDOR’s Individual Income Tax forms and schedules may be completed online using your browser. The forms and schedules are located at ALDOR Individual Income Tax Forms and Schedules. Once completed, sign, print and mail the tax return package to the address indicated on Form 40V.