TO: All County Business Privilege License Offices
FROM: Severance & License Section, Business & License Tax Division
SUBJECT: Business Privilege Licenses
The purpose of this memo is to provide important information to the county business privilege license offices about licenses and reporting requirements. The following are some problem areas that need addressing:
• Some counties continue to sell licenses that were repealed per Act 2015-70. The following is a list of the repealed license sections which should not be sold: 76, 77, 85, 86, 95, 109, 119, 120, 132, 142, 164, 170, 173 & 175. If you have sold these licenses, the taxpayer is due a refund. Please contact your vendor to inquire about measures to prevent this issue in the future.
• Please refer to the privilege license handbook for clarification on licenses prior to contacting the Severance & License Section regarding what type licenses should be sold to a taxpayer; staff members have the same information that is available in the book. For your convenience, the handbook is available on the department’s website.
• All business privilege license reports are required to be uploaded by the 20th of the month except for October, November and December reports, which are required to be uploaded by the 30th of the month.
• Reminder notifications are sent to the email address on file when it is time to reset our password. Therefore, please check your email periodically for information on password changes. SECURE SERVER PASSWORDS MUST BE UPDATED EVERY 60 DAYS OR YOU WILL BE LOCKED OUT OF THE WEBSITE.
• Store/chain store reports must be balanced with the monies remitted and all pages must be included, or our office will be unable to process your report(s).
• Do not include extra zeros at the end of the zip code field when submitting your license information. The zeros cause the information to shift into another field when the data is uploaded. Please contact your vendor for assistance in correcting this issue.
If you have any questions, please contact our office at 334-353-7827, Option #5.
Business & License Tax Division
Severance & License Section
P. O. Box 327560
Montgomery, AL 36132-7560
Click here to download a .pdf version of this memo.