An official website of the Alabama State government.

The .gov means it's official

Government websites often end in .gov or .mil. Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you’re on an official government site.

The site is secure

The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.

Casual Sales and Use Tax

  • Casual Sales and Use Tax

Casual sales and use tax is a sales tax upon every person, firm, or corporation purchasing (other than at wholesale), within this state, any automotive vehicle, motorboat, truck trailer, trailer, semitrailer, or travel trailer required to be registered or licensed by a county licensing official in this state from any person, firm, or corporation that is not a licensed dealer in selling such vehicles.

Casual sales and use tax is collected by local licensing officials. The authority for collecting the casual sales tax is found in Section 40-23-100 through 40-23-111, Code of Alabama 1975.

The casual sales tax is due monthly, with returns and remittances to be filed on or before the 20th day of the month for the previous month’s sales. The licensing official is entitled to a collection fee of five percent of all revenue collected when the collections are remitted to ALDOR within the time allowed by law. Note: if paying electronically, the EFT payment information must be transmitted by 4:00 p.m. (central time) on or before the due date, to be considered timely paid.

The casual sales and use tax may be filed and paid electronically through the My Alabama Taxes (MAT) filing system at https://myalabamataxes.alabama.gov.  However, licensing officials have the option of sending a paper return and check.