The Alabama Film Rebate must be pre-certified through My Alabama Taxes before you can receive the rebate on the Alabama income tax return. ALDOR will not process refunds for film rebates until all of the procedures outlined below are followed.
Prerequisites for filing an online film credit claim through My Alabama Taxes:
- Letter from the Alabama Film Office certifying the project is a state certified production (first letter)
- Notice of Rebate Available from the Alabama Film Office – this will have the amount of the film rebate awarded (second letter)
- Certificate of Compliance
Procedures for filing an online film rebate claim through My Alabama Taxes:
- Log in to My Alabama Taxes.
- Once logged in, navigate to the Pass-through Entity, Business Income Tax or Individual Income Tax under Accounts.
- Click on the ‘Submit a Credit Claim’ link under “Tax incentives’ and complete the following required fields:
- Credit Type – Select “Alabama Film Rebate” from the drop-down menu.
- Filing Period – Enter the tax period in which the film rebate is being claimed.
- Credit Amount – Enter the amount of the film rebate as approved by the Alabama Film Office – this is the approved film rebate amount certified in the Notice of Rebate Available from the Alabama Film Office.
- Attachments – The following attachments are required:
- The first and second letters from the Alabama Film Office
- The Certificate of Compliance
Please note that the film rebate cannot be issued until ALDOR processes the income tax return. Therefore, it is suggested the return be filed before submission of the credit claim through the normal departmental channels. The Office of Economic Development will no longer accept tax returns.