An official website of the Alabama State government.

The .gov means it's official

Government websites often end in .gov or .mil. Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you’re on an official government site.

The site is secure

The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.

FAQ Categories: Titles

How do I report a vehicle as unclaimed/abandoned?

The person or entity in possession of an “unclaimed” or “abandoned” motor vehicle must report the vehicle to the department before a motor vehicle can be sold as an “abandoned” vehicle. To report a vehicle as abandoned or unclaimed, please visit the department’s Unclaimed/Abandoned Vehicle Portal. The reporter is required

Read More »

What qualifies as an unclaimed/abandoned motor vehicle?

Unclaimed Motor Vehicles include the following: A motor vehicle left unattended on a public road or highway for more than 48 hours. A motor vehicle not left on private property for repairs that has remained on private or other public property for a period of more than 48 hours without

Read More »

How do I apply for a surety bond?

The applicant(s) shall complete an electronic request for an Alabama certificate of title under surety bond (form MVT 10-1A) utilizing the department’s Surety Bond Portal. Upon approval of the request for a surety bond, the applicant(s) will be provided a Certificate of Title Surety Bond for a motor vehicle or

Read More »

How do I apply for a replacement title?

The titled owner(s) or recorded lienholder can apply for a replacement title online by using the Public Title Portal. Once the title application is complete, it can be electronically uploaded and submitted for payment. The application fee is $15.00 and is non-refundable. The electronic application must be submitted to ADOR

Read More »

Where do I apply for an Alabama certificate of title?

Applications for Alabama certificate of title must be made through a Designated Agent of the Department. Designated Agents include: County License Plate Issuing Officials, licensed Alabama motor vehicle dealers, and financial institutions located in Alabama such as banks and credit unions.

Read More »

How do I apply for title if the owner is deceased?

If transfer involves a deceased owner and owner’s estate has been or will be probated, then the individual signing on behalf of deceased owner’s estate must provide copy of letters testamentary or letters of administration issued by the probate court. If transfer involves a deceased owner and owner’s estate has

Read More »

How do I correct an Alabama title or a title assignment?

To correct an error on the face of an Alabama title, the owner or lienholder of record, must make application for a new certificate of title through a designated agent. Designated agents must submit the Application for Corrected title, the current certificate of title, and a statement on letterhead that

Read More »